Glenallachy to Glenury Royal
Built in 1967 by Charles Mackinlay the distillery lies beside the Lour burn above Aberlour. Water is drawn from deep granite springs and snow-fed burns & the whisky is matured in ex-bourbon American oak casks and refills.
Gaelic for Great Glen, Glen Albyn is one of Scotland’s demolished distilleries; it was founded in 1846 by Provost James Sutherland. The distillery had its own railway siding linked to the main Highland Railway. The distillery was requisitioned by the Admiralty during the war and used to construct anti-submarine nets and mines. Glen Albyn was finally closed in 1983 and three years later the remaining buildings were demolished. Comet electrical and Co-op Supermarket now occupy the site.
Glenavon Distillery was recorded as operating in 1851 and licensed to John G. Smith, the son of George who founded The Glenlivet distillery. It was located at Ballindalloch, where the River Avon meets the River Spey. Glenavon ceased operating in the 1850s, but one bottle, believed to be possibly the oldest bottle of whisky in existence, still remains. It was sold at auction in 2006 for GBP14,850
The Glenburgie Distillery, founded in 1829 in Alves, near Forres, although an earlier distillery, possibly founded in 1810, was once on this site. The distillery once had two short-necked “Lomond” stills producing a heavier malt known as “Glencraig”. Glenburgie is one of the main malts associated with Ballantine’s blended whisky. Controlled by Hiram Walker from 1930 and purchased outright by them in 1936. Now part of Allied Domecq and operated by Allied Distillers Ltd.
This pretty and immaculately maintained distillery opened for business in 1825, just one year after legitimate distilling on a large scale was legalized. Since then a number of owners have operated the distillery and produced Glencadam malt in their blends. Happily, each owner was careful not to spoil the charming character of Glencadam. Since 2003, the distillery has been owned by Angus Dundee Distillers Plc who for the first time in its history, bottled Glencadam Highland malt commercially as a 15 years old expression in 2005. Official Glencadum website
Not a true distillery, Glencraig was produced at the Glenburgie distillery between 1958 and 1981.
Located at the old fishery & spa town of Macduff, where the river Spey meets the sea and across the river from Banff, the distillery was built in 1962. The whisky also appears under the name of Macduff in some independent bottlings
A traditional distillery, little changed since it was founded in 1826. Glendronach (Valley of the Blackberries) was mothballed between 1996 and 2002. Well known for operating with coal fires under the stills.
“Just upstream from Parkmore is Glendullan - the last built of Dufftown's seven stills. The original distillery had two stills. It has now been largely dismantled and was replaced by a new building next door in the early 1970's. Glendullan's whisky is mainly used for blends but in recent years it has become available as a single malt.” From the official Dufftown website
As many as a hundred malt whisky distilleries have been born in the green glens of Speyside. Many of them, like Glen Elgin, were built in the boom years just before 1900. But even as the new chimney stacks rose, trouble was brewing in the whisky industry. Glen Elgin’s designer, the renowned Elgin architect Charles Doig, made the prediction, that this would be the last distillery built on Speyside for fifty years. Even this turned out to be conservative; it was actually 60 years before Tormore became the next. At least, in Glen Elgin, the best was saved for last. And, in fact, little has changed in a hundred years. In the 1930s, it became part of Scottish Malt Distillers, for whom it was an important component of the well-known White Horse blend. From the official website.
Beginning life in 1897 as the’ Highland Esk’ distillery it was finally dismantled after a not unusually chequered history in 1996. For the most part the whisky was used for blends, notably VAT 69, with some official bottlings released in the 1970’s – 1980’s. A light and sweet style of whisky.
Established in 1836 by Robert Hay, the buildings of Glenfarclas distillery were originally spread out over three acres. Alfred Barnard wrote: “So unlike is it to a distillery, that without the tall chimney stack we should have taken it for a scattered farm-holding.” In 1865 after Hay’s death the distillery was bought by John Grant & his son George, it has remained within the Grant family ever since. Glenfarclas has a good supply of stored whisky and as well as the standard age stated range, bottles many vintage labels. Although some casks are occasionally sold to independent bottlers, they will not give permission for Glenfarclas to be bottled using the brand name.
“Started in1887 this family run business has proved to be innovative in every way. It was the first to actively sell its product in the UK and export markets as a single malt as opposed to a blended whisky. It was also the first to open its doors to welcome visitors over 40 years ago. Five years after opening Glenfiddich, Grant launched his second distillery on the site next door” From the official Dufftown website
Glenfiddich, Gaelic for 'Valley of the Deer' was founded & built in 1886 by William Grant, with the first spirit flowing from the stills the very next year. In 1963 Glenfiddich became the first whisky marketed in the UK as a single malt. A success story of the whisky boom of the late 1960’s, they focussed on the international market, with sales increasing from 48 000 bottles in 1964 to 12 million in 2008. Just about one in five bottles of single malt sold that year was Glenfiddich.
Originally known as Garnheath, this distillery was founded in 1965 within the Moffat grain distillery complex owned by Inver House, which had been converted from a paper mill. It closed in 1985 and the stills were dismantled. Bottlings are extremely rare.
This distillery started life as Glengilp built by Henry Hoey & Co around 1831, on the banks of the Crinan Canal at Ardrishaigre. Named Glendarroch in 1878 after the Darroch burn that cascades down the mountainside into the original grounds. It became a tourist attraction for passengers on the canal steamer ‘The Linnet’ who passed by on their way to Oban. Alfred Barnard describes the location: “...no more a romantic spot could have been chosen for a distillery.” Renamed Glenfyne in 1887 it closed in 1937. The warehouses continued in use for whisky maturation until the mid 1970’s. The Glenfyne distillery produced a 10 year old single malt called Glamis, which although extremely rare can occasionally still be found.
Built in 1957-60 on the site of a corn mill. It was to be one of the first of a new generation of malt distilleries built since Victorian times, with gas fired stills, and computers to assist with the production control. Originally designed with three stills for triple distillation, the distillery added 2 extra stills in 1970 and moved to double distillation. It then added computers in 1980 to control milling, mashing and eventually distilling. The distillery is next door to its ancient sister distillery, Strathisla. From the official website
Glengoyne is handcrafted at "Scotland’s most beautiful distillery", situated in a wooded valley close to a small river that flows into Loch Lomond. The distillery takes its name from ‘Glen Guin’ or Glen of the Wild Geese. Its southerly position ensures a milder climate that also contributes towards Glengoyne's smooth and lighter taste. Glengoyne invests heavily in a very strict wood policy that demands the careful selection of the highest quality Spanish and American oak casks. The distillation at Glengoyne is the slowest in Scotland. The spirit flows from the stills at half the average rate, this allows the stillman to capture only the very best distillate. From the website of Ian Macleod Distillers
Glen Grant Distillery was the first of five to be built in the town of Rothes. It
was built by John & James Grant, two brothers who had previously been involved in illicit distilling.
The Glen Grant stills are a unique shape with an almost square section between the pot and the neck. This, together with purifiers on the lyne arms, contributes, to Glen Grant's light, gentle character. Glen Grant is one of the world's biggest selling Malt Whiskies, with Italy being a significant market.
Glenglassaugh Distillery is an iconic single malt Scotch whisky distillery located just beyond the boundary of the Speyside region in the north-east of Scotland, close to the small town of Portsoy and picturesquely sited high above the dramatic Sandend Bay. Local barley and good supplies of pure water ensure that whisky of the highest quality is made here. Glenglassaugh was founded in 1875 by a local entrepreneur and his two nephews. In 1892 the distillery was sold to the Highland Distilleries Company who owned and operated it for many years. In 1960 the distillery was rebuilt and enlarged with the aim of producing a refined and delicate spirit which subsequently roved capable of long aging. In 1986, following an economic downturn in the industry, Glenglassaugh was mothballed and remained silent awaiting its fate. In 2008 the distillery's fortunes were revived as it was purchased by a new independent group of investors and following a refurbishment it was reopened later that year. From the official website
The Glenisla-glenlivet distillery was converted from a flour mill in 1891. It became Strathmill after a change of ownership in 1895. Strathmill means: “the mill in the long valley’. Glenisla single malt was released as a bottling by Signatory, but was produced at the Glen Keith distillery, not Strathmill.
Built in 1957-60 on the site of a corn mill. It was to be one of the first of a new generation of malt distilleries built since Victorian times, with gas fired stills, and computers to assist with the production control. Originally designed with three stills for triple distillation, the distillery added 2 extra stills in 1970 and moved to double distillation. It then added computers in 1980 to control milling, mashing and eventually distilling. The distillery is next door to its ancient sister distillery, Strathisla. Ian Macleod Distillers
One of the few remaining Lowland distilleries, Glenkinchie’s rural location amid fields of barley, just twenty miles from the hustle and bustle of the capital, makes this “The Edinburgh Malt”. Founded in 1825, the distillery was later purchased and restored by an association of whisky merchants and blenders from Edinburgh in the 1890s. It took ten years but the result was the Victorian distillery that we know today, with its characteristic red-brick buildings, houses for workers and even its own bowling green. Its light character is borne from its distillation in some of Scotland’s largest stills; matured for 12 years, the result is a light, floral whisky with a fresh, creamy taste. From the official website.
The Glenlivet Distillery is located near Ballindalloch in Moray, Scotland It is the oldest legal distillery in the parish of Glenlivet. Described by its marketing material as "The single malt that started it all", it was founded in 1824 by George Smith and the first distillery to be granted a license to legally distil, it has operated almost continuously since. The Glenlivet brand is the biggest selling malt whisky in the United States and the second biggest selling single malt brand globally. Today, the distillery is owned by the French alcoholic beverages giant Pernod Ricard and produces nearly 5,900,000 litres per annum. The majority of this – enough for 6 million bottles – is sold as The Glenlivet single malt, with the remainder being used in Pernod Ricard's blended whisky brands.
Originally drawing water & power from the slopes of Ben Nevis, Glenlochy was built on the shores of Loch Lochy in 1898 by David Andie. It closed and was dismantled in the early 1980’s. A few independent bottlings can be found.
Well respected by Master Blenders in Scotland, Glenlossie single malt is known as the backbone component of the blend Haig. Built in 1876 by John Duff, once manager of Glendronach distillery, Glenlossie is located south of Elgin, next to its sister distillery, Mannochmore, which was built more recently in 1971. The distillery was reconstructed around 1896 and was subsequently damaged by fire in 1929. The owners DCL, took the decision in 1960 to modernise Glenlossie and replace steam by electricity to generate power at the distillery. Ian Macleod distillers
Built in 1892 by John Birnie, Glen Mohor drew its waters from the famous Loch Ness. It was demolished in 1983. Glen Mhor is still available as independent bottlings.
“Glen Moray Distillery nestles on the banks of the River Lossie in the city of Elgin, the capital of Speyside, a region synonymous with malt whisky. Glen Moray Single Malt Whisky has been distilled here since 1897 by a small dedicated team of craftsmen. In over a century of distilling at Glen Moray, much has changed, however the ingredients, processes and skills of those responsible for producing Glen Moray remain constant.” Graham Coull - Glen Moray Distillery Manager
The Glenmorangie Distillery lies north of Inverness, half a mile from Tain in the Highlands of Scotland. It was founded in 1843 by William Matheson who thriftily installed 2nd hand gin stills which lay foundation to the distillery’s claim to have the longest still necks of any Scottish whisky distillery. Glenmorangie’s cask of preference is American oak and some are specially made from slow-growth Oak trees in Missouri. They are lightly charred and filled with Bourbon for 4 years before finally being shipped to Scotland.
Glen Ord was founded in 1838 and has been one of the larger distilleries in Diageo's portfolio since the mid-1960s when the number of stills was increased from two to six. The site is also home to a large maltings facility, which provides malt for several other distilleries in the group. The distillery's whisky is used for various blends, including Dewar's and Johnnie Walker; over the years the single malt has been sold as Glen Oran, Glenordie, Ordie and Ord - almost always as a 12 year-old, although a 5 yo was also available in the 1980s.
Built by Wm. Grant & Co. in 1878, the distillery primarily produces malt for blending. In May 1922 a warehouse was destroyed by fire and 2500 casks of maturing whisky exploded pouring into the nearby burn of Rothes. The fishermen found it easy to catch the drunken fish. The capacity was increased in 1963 from four to six stills, and again in 1980, from six to ten stills. Its water comes from the springs in the hills above the distillery. Ian Macleod distillers
Founded in 1832 by Stewart Galbraith & Co., Glen Scotia is one of only two remaining original distilleries in Campbeltown. Following its closure in the late 1930's with 19 other distilleries in Campbeltown, it was later acquired and re-developed in the early 1980's by Gibson International. It closed again in the 1980's for a few years and closed in 1994. It is presently owned by Glen Catrine but has only produced sporadically over the past 10 years. Shortly managed by the production team at Springbank for the last few years. Ian Macleod distillers
Established by James Stuart & Co in 1878, Glen Spey distillery was build just below the ruins of Castle Rothes, the ancient seat of the noble family of Leslies, Earls of Rothes. James Stuart & Co originally owned nearby Macallan. Glen Spey is a key malt of J&B blend.
The original building was modern for its time and covered two acres of land. The distillery was rebuilt in 1970 when two new stills were added to the original two. Ian Macleod distillers
Glentauchers was built in 1898, on what was known as Tauchers Farm. This malt is associated with the "Black & White" blend. Extensive rebuilding took place in 1965-66, when a new still house, mash house & tun room were built. Spirit capacity was trebled, passing from 2 to 6 stills. The distillery is now part of Chivas Brothers.
Glenturret is one of the smallest distilleries in Scotland, hosting two stills, and claiming to be one of the oldest Highland distilleries. It is a much sought after malt. The distillery draws its water from Loch Turret and produces a very complex and rich malt. It is famous for its cat, Towser, who, during her lifetime at Glenturret, caught no less than 28,899 mice. The distillery remained silent from 1923 to 1959.
Glenugie is located near the town of Peterhead in the Eastern Highlands north of Aberdeen. The distillery was constructed in the early 1830s by Donald, McLeod & Co It struggled for survival, at one time being used as a brewery. In 1875 it was rebuilt as Glenugie under new owners, and thrived until 1915 when times once again became tough. It fell silent in 1925, but reopened with new owners in 1937. Finally closed and dismantled in 1983, Glenugie was never bottled as a single malt during its lifetime, with all of its output going into blends. A few independent bottlings are available.
The Glenury distillery was built in 1825 by Captain Robert Barclay on the banks of the Cowie south of Aberdeen. A member of parliament, Barclay, who was also the Laird of Ury, became one of only three distillers to get permission from King William IV to put the word ‘Royal’ in front of the distillery name. It was still known as Royal Glenury Royal when visited by Alfred Barnard in 1885. The distillery finally closed in 1985. Modern apartments now stand on the site, but a single chimney remains with a memorial plaque. The whisky is still available as independent bottlings.