Hazelburn to Tullibardine Whisky Distilleries
Hazelburn distillery no longer operates although most of the buildings are still there. It was founded in the 18th century and rebuilt in 1836, allegedly on the site of the Parliament house used by King James IV of Scotland to free the vassals of the Macdonalds. The Hazelburn whisky currently available is a special bottling produced at the Springbank distillery. It has a light delicate taste being triple distilled and made from unpeated barley as was the original malt. An 8 yo was released in 2007 and a 12 yo is now available.
Located at Kirkwall on the isle of Orkney and founded in 1798 by David Robertson, on the site where the infamous Magnus Eunson operated his illicit still. The distillery has its own peat banks and is one of the few today to still have its own malting, producing peated malt. This is mixed with around 80% unpeated imported malt to produce the spirit. It is one of the bestselling single malts globally.
The mountainous region of Scotland where whisky was distilled illicitly for many years. The whiskies are generally light & sweet, sometimes floral
The former name of the Glenesk distillery between 1964 & 1980. Some rare malts bottlings by Diageo are still available
The name Imperial was given to the distillery in honour of Queen Victoria's Empire during her Jubilee in 1897. To highlight the importance of the event, an imperial gold crown was fitted around one of the chimneys of the maltings. That same imperial gold colour which no longer surrounds the distillery roof can be found in the whisky itself. Imperial has had its ups and down over the years. The distillery closed between 1925 and 1955 and once more between 1985 and 1989. Imperial was the first distillery to experiment with ecological methods of production by drying the cereal residue from the mash tun for use as cattle feed. The distillery takes its water from the Ballintomb Burn. Ian Macleod distillers
”The Long Island” Gaelic. A peated single malt made by the Loch Lomond distillery and named after the lost distillery of Inchfad Island, Loch Lomond.
Inchgower began life as a business run from the nearby Tochieneal distillery. In 1871 Inchgower distillery was built and the operations were moved. The buildings are still recognisable in an old etching in Alfred Barnards book from 1885. The distillery has been in almost continuous production, (it closed during WWII), till this day. Today, most of the output goes into Bell’s blended whisky, but Diageo has released a 14 yo Flora & Fauna, as well as two Rare Malts bottlings. Independent bottlings are rare.
A peated single malt produced by the Loch Lomond distillery, named after an island on Loch Lomond of the same name. Inchmoan means “peat Island”.
A single malt from the Loch Lomond distillery.
Established by Hiram Walker in 1938 within the Dumbarton grain distilling complex. The majority of the output goes into Ballantine’s blends and there are no official bottlings of single malt. Independent ones are available
The whisky producing Islands of Scotland: Islay, Mull, Skye, Orkney, Jura & Arran. Island whiskies tend to be seaweedy & a little peaty
An island off the West coast of Scotland famous for its smoky & peaty whiskies
Isle of Jura
The Island of Jura, located in the Outer Hebrides, west of the Island of Islay, has been renowned for its whisky production since 1502. The present distillery dates back to 1810. It was extended and rebuilt over the years. In 1875 the distillery was restored and new buildings added. The capacity was increased further in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Two new stills were added in 1978 in addition to the existing pair of high neck stills, which produce a light and slightly oily malt. Isle of Jura gets its malt from the Port Ellen maltings which is lightly peated.
Founded in 2005 the Kilchoman distillery is Islay’s newest commercial operation. Situated in Bruichladdich, It has a limited annual capacity of about 100 000 litres. The first single malt – a 3 yo was released in 2010. It is an intensely peaty whisky and it will be interesting to see how the later releases will mature
A single malt released by the Glengyle distillery in Campbeltown. Originally built in 1872 the distillery closed in 1929 and was reopened by its current owners in 2004.It is named Kilkerran because “Glengyle” was in use for a malt being produced by the Loch Lomond distillers.
A second pair of stills was installed at the Moffat distillery in 1965, producing a single malt called Killyloch. The malt was miss-named after a cask stencil was wrongly applied and “Lillyloch”, the water source for the whisky, became Killyloch. It was primarily intended for blends and so single malts are rare. The distillery has since been demolished
Founded in 1958 by US company Seagar Evans as part of its grain complex. It was dismantled in 1976 when the grain complex was expanded. The bulk of its production went into the Long John blends. Single malts are available but quite rare
“Kininvie distillery was built beside Balvenie in 1990 primarily to produce different malt for the fast growing Grant's blend. Glenfiddich is quite a light malt and Balvenie quite heavy, so Grant's were looking to produce something in between to add to their blend recipe.” From the official Dufftown website.
Foremost among the distilleries along the banks of the chill, clear waters of the Spey stands Knockando. Built by John Thompson in 1898, the Knockando distillery lies in the village of the same name, derived from the Gaelic ‘Cnoc-an-dhu’ meaning ‘little black hill’. It is a place of magic. The pagoda-shaped roof, almost hidden by trees and younger buildings, broods over an isolated bend in the River Spey. Whilst inside, the same levels of care and craftsmanship are employed as were evident more than one hundred years ago. The quantity of peat used in malting the barley is carefully controlled so as not to overbalance the taste of the final product, and the proportion of sherry casks used is restricted so as to not dominate the taste of the whisky. Ian Macleod distillers
Built in 1893 in Aberdeenshire, the beautiful Knockdhu distillery began production in 1894. History seems a little fuzzy on the use of its whisky up until the first official bottling of Knockdhu single malt was produced in 1990. In 1994 the malt was renamed An Cnoc to avoid escalating confusion with another Speyside distillery – Knockando.
An expansion in 1966 of the Girvan grain distillery built in 1963 by William Grant & Sons Ltd, the output was mainly used for blended whisky & was occasionally available as an independent bottling. The distillery was dismantled in 1976.
Since 1816, Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky has been made in a picturesque huddle of buildings on Lagavulin Bay. Perhaps the most beautifully situated of distilleries, Lagavulin makes arguably the most intensely flavoured, smoky and rich whisky of all. For many, this is the definitive Islay malt.
Originally a farm distillery, records show that distilling took place on the site in 1812. It was owned by the Johnston family up to 1954. In 1954 Bessie Williamson who had been the Company secretary, was promoted to the position o distillery manager up until 1972 when she retired from her Managing Director's position. Bessie was the first female distillery manager. Laphroaig has its own floor maltings and uses peat that has a high moss content. It has one of the most distinctive flavoured Islay Malt whiskies and is now owned by Jim Beam of the USA. Ian Macleod distillers
Ledaig is the peated malt of the former Tobermory distillery. Founded around 1795 the distillery has had a turbulent past. It closed in 1930 but was reopened as Ledaig in 1972. After a chequered few years including bankruptcy in 1975 and partial conversion into flats and cheese storage, the distillery and its remaining whisky were purchased by Burn Stewart in 1993. It continues to produce both the sweet & spicy Tobermory and the peated Ledaig malts. Ian Macleod distillers
Built by Peter Brown in 1835, Linkwood distillery takes its name after the estate where it was built, in the heart of the Speyside region. The distillery has two different still-houses. The small original still, used only a few months in the year, produces a heavier malt than the 4 new larger stills built in a new modern still-house in 1971. For years the management at the distillery forbade the removal of spiders' webs at the distillery in case this should alter the flavour of the whisky. Linkwood has picturesque surroundings: a reservoir, home to many bird species, and extensive well tended gardens. Ian Macleod distillers
Also known as St Magdalene
One of Scotland’s lost distilleries, Littlemill, situated on the banks of the Clyde opened originally as a brewery in 1750 but was converted to whisky production in 1772. Like many Lowland whiskies the original malt was peated and very different from the light & sweet whisky we know today. The distillery closed in 1994 and was demolished in 2006. It is mainly now found as independent bottlings
A relatively new distillery in whisky terms, Loch Lomond was built established around 1965 in a former dye works. It is a fairly self-sufficient distiller, with its own malt distillery, grain distillery and cooperage. It produces the Loch lomond, Inchmurrin, Croftengea, Inchmoan, Old Rhosdhu, Craiglodge, Inchfad & Glen Douglas single malts as well as a blended Loch Lomond and a single grain Loch Lomond.
Founded in 1957 Macnab Distilleries Ltd in Montrose, Angus. It was mothballed in the mid 1980’s and demolished circa 2004. The output was mainly exported to Spain. Occasionally it can be found as independent bottlings.
Built in 1894-1895 outside Elgin, the distillery has a disused waterwheel and a workable steam engine. Most of the equipment is very traditional. First owned by Glenlivet Distillers Ltd, then amalgamated with Seagram, it is now owned by Chivas Brothers. The Still Room was extended from six stills in 1972 to eight stills in 1974. The name Longmorn comes from the Gaelic meaning "Place of the Holy Man". Ian Macleod Distillers
Now from the stable of the Springbank distillery, Lomngrow is a peated, double-distilled Campbeltown single malt. The original Longrow distillery stood next door to Springbank, built in 1824 it was closed in 1896.
The region of Scotland between England and a line drawn just above Glasgow and Edinburgh. Traditionally, although now, not always, Lowland whiskies were triple distilled giving them an extra smoothness. They are generally a light & aperitif style of whisky with floral or citrus notes
Founded in 1824 by Alexander Reid its initial production was mainly supplied to the English market, where it is still one of the best selling single malts. In 1885 Alfred Barnard in his book: “The whisky distilleries of the united Kingdom”, recorded the output as being around 40 000 gallons or 151 000 litres, by 2010 its output had massively increased to 8 000 000 litres.
Located at the old fishery & spa town of Macduff, where the river Spey meets the sea and across the river from Banff, the distillery was built in 1962. The distillery is also known and malt bottled as Glen Devron
The Mannochmore Distillery, situated south of Elgin, is next door to its older sister, Glenlossie. Both distilleries operate on a rotating basis with the same staff and using the same ingredients. Surprisingly both malts are different in style and are seldom bottled as a single malt. Built in 1971, Mannochmore is the youngest of the two distilleries. Most of its production is used for blending. Ian Macleod Distillers
Established in 1805 and rebuilt on a grander scale in 1876, Millburn in Inverness originally had its own cooperage and carpenters shop. It closed in 1985 and was converted into a restaurant. Very rare.
Situated in Elgin, the Miltonduff distillery is owned by the Chivas Bros, (Pernod Ricard). Originally an illicit farm distillery known as Milton it was licensed as Miltonduff in 1824 when the Duff family bought the land on which it stands. Bottlings of single malt are mainly independent.
Considered the oldest distillery around Dufftown, Mortlach, dating back to 1823, is said by blenders, to produce one of the finest single malts from the region. During its silent years, from 1837 to 1851, the distillery served as a worshipping church for the Free Church. Mortlach operates six stills, which strangely all have different shapes. The distillery operates a partial triple distillation process. Mortlach was demolished and rebuilt in the 1960's. Most of its production is used for blending and is rarely available as a single malt. Ian Macleod Distillers
The name of the whisky that was distilled in two 'Lomond Stills' at the Miltonduff distillery between 1964 and 1981.
North Port Brechin
Originally called the Townhead distillery, the name was changed in 1823 to Brechin and again in 1839 to North Port. The name Brechin stuck however and is often still attached today. The distillery closed in 1983 and has since been demolished. Bottlings are still available.
Oban distillery is one of the oldest in Scotland – and it is physically and spiritually at the heart of Oban: the "Gateway to the Isles". In effect, the town grew up around the distillery and since its foundation in 1794 it has played an important role in local life. Distillery owners and managers to the present day have embraced this tradition of community involvement and hospitality - a tradition that came naturally to John and Hugh Stevenson, founders not only of the distillery at Oban but of the town itself. The distillery buildings and their internal arrangements remain almost the same today as they were following Higgin's refurbishment. From the official website.
Old Pulteney Old Pulteney Distillery lies on the Southern side of Wick
it is Scotland’s most
Northerly mainland distillery. At one time Wick was deemed to be such an unruly place that it suffered from a period of prohibition. Ironically
Pulteney was still producing its whisky throughout the period of enforced abstinence.
Parkmore ”Built in 1894
Parkmore has been silent since 1931 because of problems with its water source. Although the maltings were in use until the late 1960's and the warehouses are still in use today. Parkmore's whisky is no longer available - it is reputed that all the casks remaining in the distillery were smashed when it closed.” From the official Dufftown website
Pittyvaich “Dufftown distillery's capacity was further enhanced in 1974 when its sister distillery
Pittyvaich was built in the same complex. Sadly Pittyvaich is now closed and has been demolished.” From the official Dusstown website.
Port Askaig Not a true distillery
but a whisky from Islay
The village of Port Charlotte was built in 1828 by Frederick Campbell to house workers at the Lochindaal distillery which opened in 1829. It produced a typical Islay malt which was floated out to ships in a chain called “dogs”, 10 casks lashed together with iron pins. The distillery closed in 1929, but has since been reopened by Bruichladdich who produce a whisky known as the PC range.
Closed in 1983, this mythical distillery is now home to Islay’s Maltings, which supplies all the distilleries of the Island, including Jura. The old buildings of the distillery have now been knocked down. Established in 1825 by Alexander Mackay, the distillery fell silent between 1929 to 1966. The distillery was then rebuilt in 1967. Two stills were added to the original two. Its water comes from The Leorin Lochs
The Rosebank distillery was built in 1840 by James Rankine from the maltings of the former Camelon distillery. A very well respected malt produced by triple distillation using one wash still and two spirit stills. The distillery lies on the banks of the Forth and Clyde canal by the town of Falkirk. Unfortunately, the distillery was closed in 1993 by its present owners. Production is unlikely to restart in the near future. A collector's bottle. Ian Macleod Distillers
Built in 1824 by Captain William Fraser, Royal Brackla was located in Nairn on land made famous by William Shakespeare in his famous play: Macbeth. The distillery was the first of only three distilleries granted permission by King William IV, (who apparently loved his whisky), to put the word Royal in front of The ‘Royal’ in front of its name. It closed in 1985 but reopened in 1988 and currently has a capacity of around 3.9 million litres.
Though the origins of the Lochnagar distillery go back to 1826, it was some 22 years later that its received its royal approval. In 1848, Queen Victoria selected Balmoral Castle as her holiday residence. Only three days after she had arrived, the distillery manager John Begg made an invitation to Prince Albert to visit his distillery, knowing he was interested in all things mechanical. To his surprise, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their three eldest children visited the next day. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. So impressed were they with the whisky, John Begg immediately received a Royal Warrant of Appointment as supplier to the Queen. The Royal connection has meant that the distillery has played host to a string of famous visitors, many of them British prime ministers taking an hour or so off between meetings with the monarch of the day at Balmoral. From the official website
Scapa founded in 1885 is one of the northernmost distilleries in Scotland. Situated close to the village of Kirkwall at the head of Scapa Bay. The distillery captures its water from Lingro Burn, a very peaty stream. The malt used at Scapa is on the other hand un-peated. The distillery produces from two stills. The wash still is of the Lomond style and was installed in 1959 when the distillery was renovated and increased in size. The style of the whisky produced changed as a result. The distillery has been silent from time to time over the last 10 years. The staff at the neighbouring Highland Park distillery are now in charge of production. Ian Macleod Distillers
Singleton of Dufftown
There is a local saying in Dufftown: “Rome was built on seven hills and Dufftown stands on seven stills.” Is it any wonder then that the Speyside region is widely revered around the world for its sublime malt whiskies? This fertile triangle of land between mountain and sea has long been known as the Garden of Scotland. Bang in the centre, this geologically stunning landscape, split by rivers and valleys, and dominated by high eroded peaks, is like paradise for the enthusiastic walker. With time to explore, you can visit a particularly beautiful spot where the River Dullan bubbles past a distillery. Look carefully and you’ll see kingfishers diving for fish. Welcome to the picturesque home of the Singleton™ of Dufftown. Following those early attempts by rival distillers to divert the course of the crystal-clear spring waters used by the Dufftown Distillery, there has been little for those at the distillery to worry about, allowing them to focus on the delivery of this magnificent spirit. From the official website – malts.com
Not a distillery, but an unnamed Islay single malt of wonderfully smoky & seaweedy proportions, produced by Ian Macleod Distillers as an un age stated and 18 yo bottling.
Built in 1897 by the then owners of Tobermory, the Speyburn distillery is in Morayshire. Owned at one stage by Americans it became and still is very popular in the States.
The whisky producing region found alongside the river Spey in the Highlands of Scotland. It is said that the granite rock, heather, mountain springs and snow melt combine to produce the ideal water for making whisky. The classic Speyside whisky is sweet & spicy, although some may contain some peaty notes.
The last remaining traditional family-owned distillery to produce its malt whisky from start to finish in one location; from the malting of the barley, using Islay peat, to the bottling operation. The distillery is thought to have been established at the turn of the 18th century by the Reid family, as a licensed operation. Prior to that time illicit distilleries, thought to have numbered 30 at one point, were operating in the small town of Campbeltown, on the Mull of Kintyre peninsula. Since 1937 Springbank distillery has been owned by successive generations of the Mitchell family. The whisky produced is second to none, a truly top class malt.
Said to have been founded in the eighteenth century on the lands of St. Magdalene's Cross, the former site of an annual fair and of St. Magdalene's Hospital. This site accommodated a leper colony in the 12th century, and later a convent, before a distillery was established, possibly in 1765. Production ceased in 1983 and some of the buildings have since been converted into apartments. The distillery has sometimes been known as Linlithgow, after its hometown west of Edinburgh and close to the river Forth. Linlithgow was a centre of milling and malting in the seventeenth century and brewing and distilling in the eighteenth century.
The distillery is the oldest Northern Scotland Strathisla was founded by George Taylor and Alexander Milton, & was originally known as Milton - named after the nearby Milton Castle. The actual whisky produced there was called Strathisla & the distillery eventually adopted that name. Much of Strathisla's production is used for blending, most notably one of the most famous blends - Chivas Regal.
Formerly known as the Glenisla-Glenlivet distillery, it was converted in 1891 from a flour mill whose buildings had stood since 1823. Strathmill means ‘the mill in the long valley’. The main focus has been producing whisky for blends, although a single malt was released as early as 1909. It took until 1993 for Strathmill single malt to become more available at first as independent bottlings. The first official bottling was a 12 yo in the Flora & Fauna series by Diageo.
“Stronachie Distillery was built in 1890 near the small town of Forgandenny in rural Perthshire under the ownership of Alexander McDonald.... 30 successful years were to follow through the production of high quality Scotch whisky with a distinctive and unique character and Stronachie soon became widely available in the marketplace.... Stronachie was to be hit by a number of problems as coal prices soared and the price of grain increased dramatically. Like numerous other similar distilleries at that time Stronachie was closed down and around 1930 dismantled...The story of Stronachie doesn’t end here however ... we were fortunate to locate and acquire a bottle of Stronachie dated 1904...in order to find a single malt that could match the 1904 Vintage as closely as possible, a small sample was syphoned off and matched to a distillery that reflected the style, character and flavour of that original malt. We feel that the Stronachie 12yo Single Highland Malt of today has in its character the heritage of a bygone age and as near as possible reflects the style and elegance of the Lost Distillery.” For the full story go to stronachie.com
Said to have been founded in the eighteenth century on the lands of St. Magdalene's Cross, the former site of an annual fair and of St. Magdalene's Hospital. This site accommodated a leper colony in the 12th century, and later a convent, before a distillery was established, possibly in 1765. Production ceased in 1983 and some of the buildings have since been converted into apartments. The distillery has sometimes been known as Linlithgow, after its hometown west of Edinburgh and close to the river Forth. Linlithgow was a centre of milling and malting in the seventeenth century and brewing and distilling in the eighteenth century. Ian Macleod Distillers
What makes Talisker single malt Scotch whisky so special? As an experienced team, we've all seen fashions come and go in whisky making, but not in our distillery. For over 175 years, our distillation process has remained virtually unchanged. Even a fire in 1960 wasn't going to stop us from making Talisker the traditional way. Instead, we painstakingly recreated our unique wash stills, meticulously following the original design in a typically Skylan triumph of quiet perseverance over adversity. Over the years we may have introduced the necessary health and safety improvements, but despite the seemingly relentless march of progress, we will always double-distil the spirit to create a rich, deep character embodying the maritime characteristics of a whisky made by the sea. Our attention to detail means we will always produce a great dram. You'd expect nothing less of our unique distillery located on the shores of Loch Harport. I'm restless at heart so you'll find me poking my nose into the mash tun, the washbacks and the spirit safe at all hours. I'll even visit the shop to see how things are there, no detail is too small to be overlooked. Mark Lochhead, Distillery Manager
A real traditional distillery in the heart of Speyside which shares its name with a nearby train station on the Spey line. Built in 1896 by a consortium of blenders, Tamdhu remains even today a key blending malt for Highland distillers, its present owner, and one of the malts present in Famous Grouse. The distillery still makes use of traditional wooden wash backs and has its own maltings, which supply its own needs and these of neighbouring distilleries such as Macallan a few miles away. Its water comes from the Tamdhu burn which flows through woodlands into the Spey River. The distillery was fitted with two stills when built. This was extended to four in 1972 and six stills in 1975. Ian Macleod Distillers
Founded in 1966 by a subsidiary of Invergordon distillers ltd. The distillery was owned between 1978 & 1988 by Hawker Siddeley, more famous for their war planes than whisky. It was moth-balled in 1995 reopening in 2007. There is an official 12 year old, but independent bottlings are more common
Founded between 1800 & 1815 Teaninich by 1885 was one of the first distilleries to have electric lighting and a telephone, although at this time it still used peat for kilning. The distillery was once set out like a pretty community with distillery buildings, manager’s house and workmen’s cottage. Sadly little now remains of these buildings as it was extensively remodelled in 1970. Teaninich malt today can mainly be described as sweet & spicy, but still retains a giant whiff of smoke.
Tobermory is a single malt produced at the Ledaig distillery on the Isle of Mull. Formerly known as the Tobermory distillery, it was founded around 1795 and has had a turbulent past. It closed in 1930 but was reopened as Ledaig in 1972. After a chequered few years including bankruptcy in 1975 and partial conversion into flats and cheese storage, the distillery and its remaining whisky were purchased by Burn Stewart in 1993. It continues to produce both the sweet & spicy Tobermory and the peated Ledaig malts. Ian Macleod Distillers
From the Gaelic, Tomatin means "the hill of the bushes". The distillery is located in the Highlands of Scotland and at around 1,028 above sea level, can claim to be one of Scotland's highest distilleries. Originally founded in 1897 it has been in production for most of its life, with a few short closures. Its signature bottling is the 12 year old which accounts for around 80% of sales.
“Tomintoul Distillery was built in the mid 1960s. At the height of around 350m (1165 feet), Tomintoul is the highest village in the Highlands. Tomintoul Distillery is located in the Glenlivet Estate at Ballantruan on the east side of the River Avon and in the valley between the Glenlivet Forest and the hills of Cromdale. The distillery is capable of producing over three million litres of alcohol per annum as well as having A storage capacity of approximately 116,000 casks, extensive stocks of quality whisky, dating back over 40 years” From the official website
Tormore was the first new distillery to be constructed from scratch in the 20th century. Between 1955 & 1965 Scotch whisky production increased by around 230%. The strictures imposed by two world wars had vanished and the Tormore distillery was opportunistically founded in 1958 to ride along with the new demand. The signature bottling is a sweet 12 year old.
Built from a converted brewery, Tullibardine lays claim to being the first new distillery of the 20th century. Mothballed in 1994 it was back in production under new ownership by 2003. It produces a number of vintage bottlings.